More Swamp Walks at Swamp Celebration 2022
October 22 @ 8:00 am - October 23 @ 3:00 pm$25 – $75
The best way to learn about the swamp is to get into it! Join us for a weekend of swamp walks through Big Cypress National Preserve, live demonstrations and experiments with NPS rangers, entertainment, and so much more!
This exclusive event gives supporters of The Alliance for Florida’s National Parks an opportunity to explore the private property surrounding Clyde Butcher’s Big Cypress Gallery within Big Cypress National Preserve.
These adventurous outings are in support of Big Cypress National Preserve’s youth environmental education program, which serves every 6th-grade student in Collier County each year.
With support from The Alliance, around 3,000 children are able to experience the natural and wild wonders of Southwest Florida ecosystems through this scientist-for-a-day program.
During the Swamp Celebration, swamp walks will take place on Saturday, October 22, and Sunday, October 23, from 8 am – 3 pm each day.
Each walk is spaced 30 minutes apart and will be limited to 10 adults and up to five children per walk.
Tickets are $75 per adult and $25 per child age12 and under – and can be purchased at https://swampcelebration2022.eventbrite.com/ once ticket sales open in July.
Last year, we had a record breaking Swamp Celebration with more than 270 folks joining us for swamp walks. Read about last year’s event!
***No refunds on tickets after October 17, 2022. After this date, any changes requested on tickets may incur a fee.***
What to expect: Be prepared to get wet and have fun! The walks are approximately two-hours long and water levels will be waist-deep in some spots along the trail – and can even be chest-deep during particularly rainy seasons.
These walks are a great way for newcomers of the swamp to experience these wetlands for the first time, but please note that many consider these walks to be strenuous. There are submerged obstacles, tripping hazards, and uneven terrain that you will need to navigate.
Children: Given the depth of the water, children must be over 48 inches tall to participate in the walks. If your child does not meet the height requirement or if the timeframe of a two-hour walk would not be ideal for them, please contact us to discuss alternate options.
Clothing and Equipment:
- Clothing will get wet and a little muddy.
- Wear closed-toe shoes with laces that tie on securely – please no rubber boots or waders. These tend to fill up with water and make walking very difficult. An old pair of sneakers works best.
- Wear long pants – no shorts.
- Bring a change of dry clothes and shoes for after your walk (yes, even dry underwear!).
- There is a changing area for use after your walk. You can store your dry clothes here while on your walk.
- To save time and limit crowding, please arrive in the clothes you will wear for your swamp walk.
- Please bring a water bottle and stay hydrated – there is a refill station that you can use to fill up before you start your walk.
- We will have walking sticks available for everyone.
- A hat is recommended.
There are mosquitos. We will have bug spray on hand or you are welcome to bring your own. Covering up (hats, pants, long sleeves) and a quick spray will keep the mosquitos at bay.
We look forward to seeing you there!!
You can also read about a recent forest recovery study within Big Cypress National Preserve that we funded here.